Here they are! They are not perfect, but I am so pleased with my first attempt at making jeans. I used some medium weight grey stretch fabric that I bought in Bali. I was worried that it might be too lightweight for this pattern, but I think it is fine. I reinforced the back pockets and fly with interfacing.
I made the higher waisted version but it is still below my belly button by a couple of inches - not sure why! I used my hip measurement to choose the size and decided on size S on that basis. However, my waist was bigger than a size S and next time I will trace the pattern with a size S hip blending into a larger size waist. The jeans fit me at the waist, but I suspect this is because I realised they were going to be tight and inserted the fly with smaller seams to give a bit more room at the waist. This now means the fly isn't as neat as it could be, but my t-shirt covers this small problem!
I also changed the leg shape from bootcut to skinny, by tracing some pants I had, and lengthened it by 6cm (3cm above the knee and 3cm below). I added the side pocket as well, so I did the outside leg seams first, attached and finished off the pocket and then sewed the inside leg. The pattern suggests doing the inside leg first, but the other way round worked fine for me. I inserted the fly according to this method, which worked well, although it is my first fly so I can't compare this method to any other.
So overall I say YAY! I have already bought some stretch denim to make my second pair. I would love to hear comments from anyone who has stumbled across this post while they are researching Jalie jeans. I spent ages reading reviews of this pattern and trying to find bloggers with my shape who had also made it. Thanks must go to Tanit-Isis for her useful article on making jeans.
Shared with some of the lovely link parties listed at the bottom of this blog.