You may remember my previous blog post where I pondered swimwear for this summer and which styles might be most flattering for me. I eventually settled on this design by Jets. I liked everything about it apart from the white bands around the legs, so I omitted these.
The bottom part of the bathers was designed using my Jalie tankini pattern 3023.
I began by making a muslin with some lycra offcuts.
Much time was spent in front of the mirror pulling and adjusting and trying to see the back! Once I'd sorted out the fitting issues, which mainly consisted of the fit at the sides of the chest and the back straps, I got cutting into the navy blue and off-white lycra for the real thing. I used a buckle for the front and secured it with invisible hand stitches.
I fiddled about with the back for ages, trying different ways of getting the straps to look attractive and placing them so they didn't cause any pulling or wrinkling in the main part of the bathers. Eventually I settled on this design, which is a variation on a cross-over back using a ring. I just kind of arrived at this after much trial and error and it seems to work well.
I lined the front completely with blue fabric. I used swimwear elastic, held in place with a triple zig-zag stitch for the openings and I lined the bra cups with padded cups designed for swimwear use.
And here it is in action!
I have to say that this was quite an undertaking, but I worked through it with baby steps and it ended up being a very satisfying project. I saved well over $100 on the cost too. I am over the moon with the outcome and felt rather proud strutting up and down the dog beach last weekend :)