We have just come to the end of a long, long Christmas and summer school holiday here in Perth. Towards the end I was flailing around for things to entertain the boys and one day we went to a big shopping centre to look at books (again) and toys (again!). In between, I scooted into the newsagent and noticed the November, 2012 issue of Burdastyle magazine (yes, in January 2013 - we're a bit behind here). I have not bought this magazine for probably 20 years (gasp). The pictures looked pretty good so I decided to treat myself as a reward for providing 8 weeks of school holiday entertainment ;)
As I snatched a cup of tea at home, between refereeing fights and whipping up (more) snacks, I found that I liked quite a few of the designs in this issue. Once the school term started again last week I was ready to make something.
I started with this skirt (No. 124) and top (No. 128).
Well I've read about he difficulty of tracing the Burdastyle patterns, but it was worse than I'd imagined. It took me quite some time to even locate the right pattern pieces amongst the chaos of lines and I was pleased there weren't many pieces to trace. Nowhere did I see mention that seam allowances were not included so I merrily traced the pattern, cut out my fabric and finished my skirt without them. It wasn't until I later read a Burdastyle review that mentioned the seam allowances that I realised my mistake.
However, all was fortunately not lost. I had traced my size according to the size chart and, as it turned out, this was perfect without seam allowances in the knit fabric. Absolutely perfect :) Moral, if you want to make this in stretch fabric, cut your size without seam allowances! I left the zip off as it was not necessary. I also made the welt pockets as faux pockets as the pocket line would have been visible under the knit fabric. I lined the welt with some striped knit fabric left over from my Drape Drape top (also pictured below). I'm not sure if I traced the right line for the pockets as they ended up too close to the side seams, but they're ok.
Once I'd finished the skirt, I decided I'd quickly make the top too. Yay for school holidays being over!
The top was also cut to my measurements, but with seam allowances this time! There is plenty of room in this so it would be fine to go down a size or two if you wanted a less baggy result. I made it from a knitted fabric that I had bought ages ago in an op shop for $3. It is mainly pink, but with traces of blue wool so it goes with the skirt. These pictures are not clear as they are taken with my 11 year old digital camera while my beloved Canon is in for repair.
The jumper went together very easily. I needed to gather the sleeves to get them to fit into the cuffs as my fabric was not super stretchy. This worked fine as I used zig zag stitch to preserve the stretch. Overall this is a very comfortable and easy to wear outfit. I have already worn the skirt a few times, not the jumper though, as it's 41C here and I could hardly bear to wear it for these photos!
Now I'm waiting for the December 2012 issue to come out here. Maybe sometime in Feb 2013. I'll keep checking that newsagent :)