I recently stumbled across this new underwear pattern. It's by the lovely Madalynne and it's free! You can download it here. The pattern is beautifully presented as a downloadable pdf file with clear diagrams and instructions (and some further notes here). There are also some gorgeous photos on Madalynne's blog of this pattern and others she is working on. Well worth a look - I wish I looked like that model in my new knickers!
The pattern is somewhat unusual as it's made from woven, rather than knit fabric. Also, it has the elastic on the outside! These features combine to make a very cute pair of knickers that would be perfect to wear under loose clothing on a hot day, or perhaps on their own for a private soiree ;) They are not really suitable for wearing under close-fitting clothes as their outline will show.
To make these, I used a scrap of light, microfibre-type fabric that has been sitting in my stash for an embarrassingly long time. Instead of elastic, I used a 2cm wide strip of lycra, folded lengthways into thirds. I cut it to the same length as suggested for the elastic and attached it with a triple zig-zag stitch. This worked perfectly as an elastic substitute and looks better as a design feature than basic elastic. I made a little ribbon bow for the front.
These are not difficult to make, but it does take a little time to fold and stitch the hems and attach the 'elastic'. They are very comfortable to wear, but are cut a bit more cheekily at the back than the knickers I usually wear. Ooh la la! It was nice to take the time to finish these properly as they do look and feel a bit special.
Thank you to Madalynne for this lovely pattern.