A new outfit!
I recently had my arm twisted by Bronwyn to venture into a spot of online fabric shopping from the US. Well, to be honest, it didn't take too much arm twisting before I was gleefully adding items to my shopping basket at Gorgeous Fabrics. It was all very exciting when the parcel arrived and we oohed and ahhed over each others' purchases.
One of my choices was this grey polka dot stretch suiting fabric, which I bought on sale, but seems to be back at normal price now. I bought it with the Jamie jeans by Named clothing in mind and, I was so in love with it when it arrived, I put my little French jacket to one side and got cracking on the jeans.
I made only two small adjustments to the pattern based on my first pair of Jamie jeans and that was to add approximately 2cm to the lower leg of the jeans so it wasn't quite so tight fitting on the calf and to add approximately 12cm to the length. Also, this time round I referred extensively to the excellent set of photos by Jennifer R, particularly those concerning the fly insertion. Seriously, Jennifer R deserves a medal for her work explaining this process, which I really struggled with last time. This time, it was perfect! The zip is slightly down in this pic, but trust me.
I do like the detailing on these jeans.
And the fit is brilliant.
I'm loving this fabric too with its flocked polka dots.
I was very excited to put these on at the first opportunity, but when I got dressed I tried on and flung off several tops in different directions before realising that I had nothing to wear with them. Minor panic!
After a quick hunt through my stash, I found this ribbony, grassy border print remnant from Textile Traders. I decided to make the embroidered top #101 from Burdastyle 05/3013. There wasn't quite enough fabric for the top so I added some blue to the sides, which actually seems to improve the balance and make it look less like a nightie. Win!
The pattern consists of two pieces, front and back, with some straps and a dash of bias binding. I chose to make the straps from the same fabric as the top and just made a tube, which I then embroidered with little beads. The top is gathered front and back. The instructions say to gather the front to 10cm, which is far too narrow, so be aware of this if you make one. There was supposed to be a little keyhole opening at the front, but I left that out.
It was difficult to get the finish really neat on the top, but still I'm pleased with it. I love the fabric and the style is very cool and comfortable.
So happy with my new outfit and my first foray into online fabric shopping. Also huge thanks to my sister for taking the photos and directing my poses. It was so nice not to take selfies for a change.