When I spied this jacket in the December 2012 issue of Burdastyle magazine I instantly fell in love with it. I even bought some fabric to make it - a grey knit - but the fabric choice didn't feel right and I put it on the back burner (read: pile of stashed fabric so high it's threatening to topple and crush me, the dog and two sewing machines). Then, last week while perusing Textile Traders' sale, I found a stand of this soft, fluffy deliciousness in several different colours. I dragged a few rolls over to the mirror (I wish there were more mirrors in fabric shops) and began my decision-making process. I settled on this lovely golden, mustardy, breastfed baby poo colour. It's a good autumn colour and just all round bright and happy. I love this fabric and can't stop touching it! It is called 'double brushed flannel poly rayon', which means it's washable (no probs in the machine, I've checked) and, I thought, non-fraying, so perfect for this jacket featuring raw edges.
|Burdastyle 12/2012 #139 - almost the same as mine!|
OK, so it turns out it does fray, which was a bit of a bummer since I didn't realise this until after I'd cut out the jacket. Luckily I managed to overcome the issue by changing the exposed seam allowances to non-exposed ones and using lots and lots of ribbon to encase all the other raw edges.
There's ribbon everywhere! I used the ribbon folded over to bind the lower edge of the jacket, the sleeve edges, the pocket openings and the hood. The ribbon was used flat to hide the seam allowances of the hood and sleeve cuffs as well as to finish off the zip edges at the front and the hood. The remaining inside seams were finished with the overlocker.
This was not a difficult jacket to make. I used my usual size 38 in Burda with no alterations. The sleeves are made extra long and turned back as a feature, so no problem with sleeve length.
I am pleased with the non-exposed seams now, so it was a happy accident that the fabric frayed! I think it gives a cleaner finish. I also like the ribbon detailing, just enough shine to add some interest here and there.
The hood is enormous and I doubt that I'll use it. The stiffness of the zip does make it stick out a bit, but I don't mind as it goes with the cute and casual style of the jacket.
The lovely zips were from Homecraft Textiles. My favourite place for zips in Perth. The two zips and ribbon cost $23, so a bit expensive, but worth it to get the right colour and nice metal finish. The fabric was $20/m with 40% off, so this cost just over $40 to make.
Speaking of the zips. I used a little trick that I worked out from making my Jalie 2795 jackets. In order to get the front matching up a much as possible, I sewed all the pockets except the row of stitching across the top of the pockets (across my tummy, see above) before inserting the zip. That way I only had to match the edges at the top and bottom of the zip and not worry about matching anything in between. Then, before adding the ribbon trim and topstitching the zip, I sewed the top of the pockets making sure the line of stitching was nice and straight all the way across the front. Voila, nice and neat!
Here is the jacket unzipped:
Zipped right up:
And open, Batman-style!
I won't be wearing it Batman-style.
I am over the moon with my soft and cosy Happy Jacket and pleased I waited for the right fabric to call to me. I'm going to wear it all winter long!
The jeans are my polka dot Jamie jeans. I love these jeans and wear them often. The fabric has minimal stretch and they hold their shape really well throughout the day.