The front hemline is shorter than the back, which is fine, but I think it's perhaps too short on me at the front making the proportions look wrong. The side view is not doing me any favours around the midsection.
The back view is ok, but I think the gathers at the front and the back are too high up and would look better at the waistline. The blue piping, which I agonised over, is all wrong. It highlights the area between the waist and the bust, instead of drawing the eye somewhere more interesting.
The front of the dress has a very interesting gathered section with piping, that is extremely difficult to sew neatly. This squiffiness was my best effort! If I made this again I don't know that I would add the piping, both for the look and for the ease of obtaining a neat finish. The gathered section does provide a nice fit at the bust and yes, the neckline is very low! The more I analyse this dress, the more I realise that the focus is very much in the bust department.
The back gathers are quite nice I suppose.
I'm not sure where I stand on the sleeves, but I suspect there is something a bit wrong there too.
My thoughts for next time:
- use a light, cottony fabric with a lovely drape and a much nicer print that the one I used;
- leave off the piping;
- raise the neckline slightly;
- lower the front hemline;
- do something with the sleeves to reduce bodybuilder look;
- investigate lowering the gathered sections, but may require too many pattern alterations.
My thoughts for improving this dress:
- wear in the winter with tights, boots and a big coat over the top.