Wandering through Textile Traders, this New York print fabric caught my eye. It was a bit polyestery, but I thought the print would make a cool dress, so I went for it. It is all black and white buildings with yellow taxis and red other things.
I chose this vintage pattern, Butterick 5208, that I have made once before in gold fabric. The two dresses turned out completely different, which is a good thing for wardrobe variety.
I omitted the pockets as I thought the fabric was a bit lightweight to hold them. Shame, I liked the pockets. I also left off the collar. I used the all-in-one facing that I had drafted last time. This finished off the neckline and armholes nicely. I had to take in the side seams a bit too.
I cut red knit fabric out for the side panels, sewed it together and then decided the red was a bit much. I recut the panels in black, inserted one and changed my mind again. Not being able to decide whether I preferred the black or the red panel, I left one of each.
I like the squared off armholes in this pattern.
And the front zip feels quite edgy, even though it's a vintage pattern.
I wore my wellies for the photos just for fun. It was warm enough today for sandals but I'm planning to wear this though the winter with tights and boots.
A bit of blurriness and you can almost believe I'm from the 70s!