I have had this pattern for quite a while and decided it was about time I used it. As usual, I googled the pattern to see what others had made. Unfortunately there was not a lot of enthusiasm for the pattern out there. It seemed everyone who had made it needed major adjustments to even begin to achieve a good fit.
The picture on the website looks more like a nun's nightdress on a saucy evening:
To cut a long story short, I should have listened to those wise sewers who had gone before me. However, I am not one to abandon a project so, once I'd started, I fussed with this until it was wearable. I'm very happy with the dress now, but I wouldn't recommend the pattern unless you are after
Having established that the pattern was a dud, let's talk about the fabric. This is unlike any fabric I've seen before. It is cotton with random flower patterns slashed into it. The flowers seem to have a dot in the centre indicating that perhaps a special tool was used to make the cuts. I bought it at the 'Breathless' designer fabric sale in Perth a couple of months ago. I don't know if the cuts were made by the designer or if she bought it like that. I would love to find out.
The fabric was originally white and I dyed it blue with the Dharma Trading Indigo kit. I dipped the fabric three times, for about five minutes each time, to get this intensity of colour. To highlight the flowers, the dress was completely lined with white cotton.
The pattern has a centre seam, which was useful to drastically reduce the length of the neckline opening. I omitted the facings since I had lined the dress.
To improve the fit I added back darts using the Colette Laurel shift dress pattern as a guide for length and placement of the darts. I also took in the side seams a fair bit and omitted the pockets, which would have added bulk in the wrong places.