It's my first time swinging into Jungle January, so I thought I'd better go all out and sparkle. I even had a glittering event to which I could wear my new disco leopard ensemble - dinner with some lovely Perth sewers last Sunday. Eagle-eyed Sue spotted that this was the Inari tee pattern before she'd even got out of her car. That girl knows her patterns!
|Pretty Grievances - Jungle January|
I have experimented with this pattern in a ponte knit and a woven (unblogged). The woven version was a bit tight across the shoulders, but the ponte one was a pretty good fit. This knit fabric was lighter than the ponte and there are some drag lines at the front, which probably indicate that I need to do a FBA (full bust adjustment) for next time.
Other than that, I'm really pleased with the dress. It was simple to make, so I took my time and did the best job I could. I made it according to the pattern, omitted the sleeve cuffs and the neckline facings and lowered the neckline. I used a strip of the fabric inside out to make a very small, almost piping-like, neckline band with a double line of topstitching. The sleeves are finished on my new Cover Stitch machine (a Bernette 009DCC) that I bought a couple of months ago for $100 on Gumtree.
I'm still experimenting with the Cover Stitch machine as it certainly behaves better under certain conditions, but it gives a great finish to hems.
The back is slightly longer in this pattern, which is a nice feature.
I am very happy with this dress. I think I get away with the wild fabric by balancing it with the casual t-shirt dress pattern. I hope so anyway! It is super comfortable and hides the effects of several courses of Japanese food admirably.
And if all else fails, I can say I'm a mermaid.