As soon as the Hannah Dress by Victory Patterns veered onto my radar I knew I had to make it. I love the deceptively simple shape that, on closer inspection, reveals spectacular and unusual details. Check out those slanted side seams ending in deep pockets, the foldover back pieces, the hemline, the covered button placket. Oooh I'm getting dizzy again with the excitement of it all!
|Victory Patterns Hannah dress|
The Victory Patterns website features a Hannah dress in pale grey wool. When I spotted this dark grey flannel (wool/rayon/poly) in the Textile Traders 50% off sale, I decided to go for it for my first Hannah (and yes, there will be more). The pattern says you need 3.1m of 137cm wide fabric. I bought 2.5m of 150cm wide fabric and had almost 50cm left over. I made size 8.
This is quite an involved pattern to make and I enjoyed every minute! I have no idea how Kristiann drafted this and worked out the instructions. It's really clever. I was surprised many times at the way it came together. It was also impossible to try on until quite late in the construction process and I kept draping myself in pockets and plackets desperately trying to imagine the finished dress!
My first ever covered button placket. Phew, that gets your brain working! Great instructions though.
The back of the dress is perhaps the most unusual feature with folded pieces draping from each shoulder. This results in five layers of fabric at the back neckline that are then bound with bias binding. Here is my back neckline with the bias binding attached, but not folded over. Six layers with one to go! Surprisingly this worked out fine and not too bulky, even in my wool fabric.
The fit is pretty good on this. The darts need to be moved slightly and I could do with a sway back adjustment. I may also need a FBA (full bust adjustment). I might also lower the armholes slightly next time. These are all minor changes and I'm quite happy with the dress as it is.
Update: there is a tutorial for bust adjustments on the Victory Patterns Website.
Those deep pockets are fab.
The blue tights are my first attempt at a self-drafted pair of tights from a leggings pattern. Let's just say it's just as well I'm wearing boots!